Friday, July 28, 2006

Welcome to Jacki and Tara's Food Blog! (just the word "blog" alone has me conjuring up images of a thick creamy seafood stew - maybe because it rhymes with fog and I am thinking Atlantic Ocean). Say the word and we think food. We are both stay at home moms, each with a pair of sons and a husband a piece. We love words, food, books, and entertaining. We have been friends since elementary school and talk about food constantly. We both love to cook, create new recipes, and go into near comas discussing cooking and eating. I personally (Tara) love everything from trashy to traditional - I even fantasize about making and eating an Elvis Presley fried peanut butter and banana sandwich one day. Do you remember the movie Elf? Well some wierd part of me also wants to try Elf's conconction of candies, spaghetti,and maple syrup. We will be posting our thoughts, recipes, and party diaries right here. To think that Jacki and I started this blog following a telephone conversation we had wondering if the "blog" is now the new dreaded Family Christmas Letter? We figured it would be ok to start a blog if the focus was on food and recipes. Welcome to our Family Christmas Letter!

This weekend I am heading to Seattle Washington. Lucky for me I am going down with my very PREGNANT sister who likes to eat (maybe that Elvis Presley sandwich will be on the agenda)! It is my mission to bring back a recipe for something delicious. I am looking forward to eating, reading, eating, shopping, eating, and well eating. My husband may not recognize me with the new chin I plan to grow this weekend. By the way Jacki and I have often discussed this (here is a question for you). Could you ever be friends with a person who didn't like food? It is an absolute prerequisite for me - though I will draw the line at perhaps a person who would rather eat at an "all you can eat buffet" rather than try out a new restaurant. I will also draw the friendship line at people who are picky. Don't you think that an adult who is a picky eater is really just vying for the attention they didn't get as a child? Hmmmm. I would also like to retire a recipe here at today's post called, Boursin, Fig, and Pear Crostini. I sna-food this recipe from Chatelaine magazine and I've over made it this past year. I will say that it is absolutely delicious and super easy to make, but I now must find something new to make or people will stop visiting me. I would also like to share with you an inexpensive delicious wine ($8) my friend Rose just introduced to me; an unoaked Shiraz by Naked Grape. I actually went to buy the Merlot from our local beer and wine store, but the clerk told me that they didn't stock the Merlot because they didn't like it. That actually bothered me. I mean just because "they" don't like it doesn't mean that I won't. I have a feeling the staff just did a wine tasting course and now they have all become experts.

Boursin, Fig, and Pear Crostini
1 cup (250 ml) of chopped dried figs, 1/2 cup (125 ml) of Port or Marsala (use any wine you like), 2 tbsp. (30 ml) of granulated sugar or Splenda, 5 slices of peeled ginger, 1 small sprig of fresh rosemary or or 1/2 tsp. of crumbled dried rosemary leaves, 1 firm ripe pear, 1 baguette sliced 1/4 inch slices, 1 50 g. pkg. of Boursin cheese (Boursin is a soft creamy cheese you can get in the deli section of your grocery store), or use a soft goat cheese if you'd rather. Place the figs, port, sugar, ginger, and rosemary in a small saucepan, set over medium high heat and bring to a boil, uncovered, stirring occasionally. Then reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes. Meanwhile peel and core pear, then chop. Stir into fig mixture and continue simmering, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed, 2-4 minutes. Refrigerate to cool quickly. Discard ginger slices. If making ahead, turn into a jar or plastic container. Seal tightly and refrigerate up to 1 week. Then make the crostini. Preheat the oven to 400 F (200C). Slice baguette into 1/4 inch thick rounds and spread out on a baking sheet. Toast in oven until edges are golden tinged 5-6 minutes. If making ahead, store in an airtight container at room temperature. Spread baguette toasts with a heaping tsp. of Boursin. Top with fig mixture. Delicious with a glass (or bottle) of bubbly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home