Monday, July 31, 2006

"If I can't have too many truffles, I'll do without truffles." - Colette
I'd purchased two truffle oils recently at a sweet little Italian shop here in town and I have yet to try them. I'd never tried truffles or truffle oil and loved the smells of both the black and the white truffle oils I purchased. The black truffle oil is quite mushroomy and garlicy smelling and the white truffel oil smells less intense, though similar with a more earthy aroma. Truffles have long been revered by gourmets as well, both the Greeks and Romans have long believed in both the truffle's therapeutic and aphrodisiac powers.

Tara's Side Bar: I have to agree with the aphrodisiac powers of truffle oil. Immediately after I savored a little whiff of this delectable oil, I felt a little amorous. No wonder, (I thought), Colette the French writer had sex with everyone; she liked to pig out on truffles. Which brings me to the amazing way that truffles are found - farmer's pigs/dogs sniff out these little black or white diamonds and then the farmer will retreive them. (Apparently dogs are more trustworthy when sniffing out truffles because pigs are more inclined to try to steal a bite).

Here are some dishes to try using truffle oil:
Goat Cheese and Truffle Oil Crostini, Linguini with Black Truffle Oil, Rissotto with Chives and Truffle Oil, or Seafood Pasta Drizzled with Truffle Oil. Once I try truffle oil a few times I will post some of my recipes.

However, tonight I made a Rib Eye Steak Salad with roasted peppers and mushrooms drizzled with black truffle oil. My husband is eating it at this moment...we'll see how he likes it. P.S. The Truffle Oil is a hit! I on the other hand enjoyed a Lean Cuisine with the roasted veggies and truffle oil tonight - because like I promised I did grow an extra chin this weekend in Seattle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home