Thursday, September 22, 2011

Grilled Oktoberfest Sandwiches

My last posting was eons ago...where the hell have I been? Oh, yes, visiting with the mother in law, my hubby's family and then eghad! I had to work for three weeks straight as a relief receptionist. I'm a temp and for the most part a stay at home mama who cooks and misses her blog ever so terribly. I have much to post, but while I spend the last couple of days at work, let me thrill you with a simple sandwich I found this afternoon in a Thrify's flyer that will help you celebrate the coming Fall Season! Here's to Oktoberfest Sandwiches...give me two please!

This will make four sandwiches:

1 Tbsp. butter, 1 medium onion, halved and sliced, 1 medium apple, peeled, cored and cut into very thin wedges, 8 slices of rye bread, 2-3 Tbsp. butter, 1/4 cup of Dijon mustard or to taste, a package of each (200ish grams) of Swiss or German-style butter cheese, thinly sliced or grated, 8 thin slices of pastrami or corned beef, 1 cup of well drained sauerkraut.

Melt the 1 Tbsp. butter in a skillet set over medium to medium-high heat. Add onions and apples and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Use the remaining butter to lightly coat one side of each bread slice. Set 4 of the slices, buttered-side down, on a work surface. Spread the top of those slices with mustard. Divide and top the mustard with half the cheese. Divide and top the cheese with the meat, apple/onion mixture and sauerkraut. Top the sauerkraut with remaining cheese.

Top sandwiches with remaining 4 bread slices, setting them buttered-side up. Set a large non-stick skillet over medium low heat. Set in the sandwiches and slowly grill for 4 to 5 minutes per side, or until the cheese is melted. Cut each sandwich in two and serve.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home