Thursday, April 19, 2007

Learning to Cook 10 Things Well for the Culinary Inept

A post or two ago I mentioned that it is not cool to be culinary helpless. I've seen a lot of changes over the past decade. One big change that really floored me was an advertisement I read in the newspaper a few years back, of a company that "made meals from scratch for busy families." I didn't clue in at the moment that many families weren't getting homemade meals anymore and that busy families were longing for something soulful and nourishing when they got home from work. I was perplexed. Many people I knew were taking out huge loans to install state of the art gas stoves and stainless steel refrigerators....of course people were cooking for their families; I mean what ass would take out a $30,000 loan for a new kitchen and then spend their lives paying for someone else to cook the from scratch meals for them; or worse, take their children through the drive through to clog their kid's arteries with lumps of congealed and greasy sealed beaks and assholes? Apparently many. It seems that a beautiful kitchen is a status symbol kind of like new boobs and a joker's smile.

Though I've always cooked, there was a two year period in my life when I lived in Toronto that I ate at a restaurant almost every night. Being a "busy" sales administrator I also often ran like a farm animal does when he hears the farmer's bell, as soon as the breakfast truck pulled up at my office door. Needless to say I got rather portly. The same thing is happening to our children today. Statistics tell us that this generation of children will not live longer than their parents! That should scare the hell out of you. Even if you are taking your children to the fancier fast food places that serve roasted chicken instead of fried or nicer restaurants in between hockey, ballet, and Kumon, please realize that there are many hidden fats and food enhancers that are killing your kids. As a kid I remember McDonald's or ordered in Pizza being a treat. My mother was a full time outside of the home divorced working mother, and every night we had a home cooked meal. She'd also get up early and prepare our breakfasts, and in the evening make our lunches for the next day at school. Today's parents have all but abandoned the kitchen and the supper table. Want to keep an eye on your teenager and their friends....be the parent who cooks for them or has yummy snacks at home. Want your kids to bring their friends to your place so you know who they are hanging out with....cook for them. Stats show that families who eat together stay together. Get back into the kitchen for your family's health and for your family's soul and keep your children close.

If you are a busy parent, invest in a slow cooker. You can make gorgeous beef bourginons, chicken wings, and soups using this Grandmotherly like cooking aparatus. Simply toss a bunch of vegetables and a lump of meat with a little liquid and seasonings, turn it on and dinner will be ready for you when you get home from work.

Picky kids? I would say that 50% of children are picky eaters. It's when we indulge the pickiness that our children will only eat chicken mcnuggets or white food. Start having some fun with your children. Kids aren't inspired by cranky stressed out parents who chase them around the living room with spoonfuls of mush trying to force nutrition down their throats. I dare my kids not to try something. Kids have a natural rebellious streak - take advantage of it. I've also gotten my kids to try new foods by pretending we are on the show survivor. Lay on the praise too. When your kids try something new tell them how proud you are that they are adventurous. Bring them into the kitchen. I recently got my kids to start picking out meals to make from a kids' cookbook I have. They take great pride in being involved and can't wait to serve their meal to the family. Also a couple of other tips for young children, don't over flow their plate. Kids are stimulated visually and can get turned off when there is too much on their plate. I have found kids love succulent tender and flavorful meals. Put away the hotdogs and chicken strips and try some of these easy meals.

Here are some of my children's favorites:

Meatloaf (with wheat germ and bran - they will never know you slipped a little fiber in).
Greek Chicken with Chinese flavored broccoli
Easy Spaghetti
Roasted Chicken and mashed potatoes
Slow Cooker Roast Beef
Pork Chops with Mushroom Sauce
Roasted Pork Tenderloin
Steak with olive oil and Montreal Steak Spice
Boiled and Oven Baked Ribs
French Burgers
Deckfast - this is when you serve breakfast for dinner sometimes.

If money is tight, make lots of casseroles using hamburger, chicken thighs, or drumsticks. Toss an inexpensive roast into the slow cooker with lots of flavorings and broth. Next post I'll start writing the recipes. Bon Appetite!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home