Friday, May 18, 2007

Low Carb Shepherd's Pie

It's raining tonight here in B.C., so I was trying to think of something delicious and nutritious to enjoy with my glass of Merlot. Truth be told, I have a weakness for all things burger. In fact, just recently after viewing David Hasselhoff's drunken' lip lock with his hamburger, I actually thought to myself...God that burger looks good. I could not have cared less that he was lying on his floor shirtless and slobbering incoherent grunts....David aside; I just wanted to have what he was having, minus the you tube demonstration of course. So tonight, rather than a D.H. burger, I think that I will enjoy a low carb Shepherd's Pie. How do you make it and why the low carb? After so much kerfuffle in the media and so forth with respect to low carb diets, it has now been revealed, albeit reluctantly, that they actually might be good for you. I've tried every diet on the universe, and seem to come out of this one, happy and well fed. So here is what I made tonight:

Boil two heads of medium sized cauliflower in a nice big pot of water. In a separate pan, fry up about 8 slices of bacon, but cut them up into little cubes first. Also add 4 stalks of chopped up celery, and chop up and add an onion. Fry all over a medium heat until cooked and softened. Add hamburger and cook until all the pink has gone. Add some salt and pepper, and sage if you like too. Drain the hamburger and set aside for a bit. In the meanwhile, whip up four egg whites and blend until they are nice and thick like whip cream. When the cauliflower is done, drain the water and add to the egg whites with 1/2 cup of shredded cheese. Salt and pepper. Add 1 egg and some mushroom soup, 1/2 can without water will be fine to the hamburger mixture then o a butter up casserole dish and top with cauliflower mixture. Sprinkle with a bit more cheese and more pepper. Put in the oven at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home