Thursday, May 03, 2007

No Condiments Required Omelet

One thing I've really come to learn from watching cooking shows is that keeping a dish simple is better. Too often I have heeded to the more is better attitude, thereby plying any food with too much stuff. I remember once making a dish, I think it was chicken, and I doused it will all of my favorite flavors, wine, sour cream, and possibly 5 other ingredients. Problem is, when you douse any food with lots of delicious flavors, it doesn't stand out. Keep your dishes simple so you can actually taste and celebrate the food that you are eating. This morning I made a simple omelet and it didn't need any condiments to complete it's divinity. For one person, whisk three eggs together with a bit of milk - 1/8th of a cup maybe. Then pour the eggs into a warm, buttered pan. I've just come to realize how delicious butter is when cooking with eggs. I've cooked too many egg white scrambles in the microwave, but butter is better in a good old fashioned pan - but let the butter brown just a little, it will really heighten the flavors. OK - once the egg is poured over the melted butter in the pan, add a sprinkle of thyme and especially a tsp. of fresh tarragon leaves. I am so into tarragon right now. Then add one chopped green onion, and half a chopped up tomato, a slice of feta cheese, I crumbled mine up and put it all over the omelet. Then if you want real decadence that will hold you over until dinner, add just a couple of tiny squares of cheddar cheese. Check once in a while the bottom of the egg to see when it is done. When it's done, flip it in half and take off of the element and let it cool and melt just a little more. The tarragon really comes through in this omelet complementing this comforting egg dish.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home