Saturday, March 12, 2011

Best Roast Chicken

If you ever get the chance you have got to tune into Cristina Ferrare's new cooking show BIG BOWL OF LOVE on the OWN network. If you don't get OWN, just google her and you'll find lots of really amazing recipes. I love that her recipes are so easy, non-fussy, but so delicious. I made her pumpkin chiffon pie one Christmas and gave out the recipe to so many people. It's heavenly! The recipe for her chicken is very easy and my whole family loved it. Rather than buying a "fryer" chicken I got a nice plump roasting chicken, probably about 5 pounds at Thrify's.

This marinade is for two chickens but I didn't read that part until after I poured all of the marinade over one. It won't make any difference

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees (I was surprised too!)

Mix together 1/2 cup of low sodium soy sauce, 1/2 cup of lemon juice (I squeezed mine then stuffed the rinds into the cavity of the chicken), and one cup of Dijon. It won't look pretty. Once you stir the marinade together, pour over the chicken in a roasting pan and stuff the chicken with fresh herbs like sage or tarragon and lemon rinds. I poured about a cup of chicken broth into the roasting pan.
Don't salt the chicken.

Then put into the oven and bake for an hour and a half. Put a meat thermometer in for best results. Cover the chicken with tin foil and baste every once in a while. The funny thing is I forgot the tin foil until the last half hour of cooking time and basted also the last 1/2 hour and it still turned out divine. The perfect Sunday or mid-week dinner.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home