Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Bonnie Stern's Best Ever Banana Bread

One of my favourite cookbooks is "Friday Night Dinners" by Bonnie Stern. I checked out her website and found this recipe for BANANA BREAD. I've made the same banana bread recipe forever, but tried this new one because I liked the addition of buttermilk and brown sugar. If you don't have buttermilk, make your own: combine 1 cup of milk with 1 tbsp. of vinegar and let sit for 5 minutes.

My kids had this banana bread after school today and LOVED IT!

1 cup of mashed bananas, ½ cup of buttermilk or yogurt, 1 tsp. of baking soda, ½ cup of butter, 1 cup of brown sugar, 1 egg, 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract, 1 ½ cups of pastry flour, 1 tsp. of baking powder.

Combine bananas with buttermilk and baking soda in a bowl.
Beat butter with brown sugar until light. Beat in egg and vanilla.
In another bowl combine flour with baking powder. Add flour to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk/bananas beginning and ending with flour. If you do this in a food processor add all the buttermilk/bananas to the butter mixture and blend and then briefly blend in flour.
Transfer to a buttered loaf pan lined (I sprayed my loaf pan with PAM). Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 50 to 60 minutes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home