Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Red Velvet Cookies

I'm not kidding when I say I left a plate of these out today and they disappeared within minutes when we had kid company over. They must be amazing which means, I'll make a few more dozen tomorrow.

Whisk together 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour, 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp. baking soda, 1/4 table salt.

Combine separately, 1/2 cup of vegetable or canola oil, 1/2 cup of packed brown sugar, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1 egg, 1 tbsp. of liquid red food colour (though you may adjust the amount to really red velvet up your cookies), 1 tsp. of distilled white vinegar (which by the way is the "best kept secret in red velvet cake and these cookies").

Freeze: some chocolate chips (if you can get some funky ones in Christmas colours, that's even better).

So, preheat your oven to 375 degrees, and line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.

Combine oil, brown sugar, and granulated sugar in a bowl with a mixer on medium speed until creamy, 3 minutes. Add the egg and mix to combine.

Mix together food colour and vinegar until fully incorporated. Add flour and cocoa mixture to sugar mixture, mix to combine.

Scoop a little dough out, about 1-2 tsp., onto the prepared baking sheet.

I then flattened them a little with the bottom of a glass and baked until puffed and edges are set, 10-12 minutes.

When they come out of the oven, gently press the cold chocolate chips into the centre.

They are beyond gorgeous! In fact, I may even do some swirly designs on them tomorrow with some philly cream cheese icing.

****As I re-read my recipe, I can see that I kind of repeated the directions a couple of times. Truth be told, today's baking session made me a little tired and I'm too tired to edit!

1 Comments:

At 8:33 PM , Anonymous Valerie said...

Can't wait to taste.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home