Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Tart Pastry

This was simply the easiest most delicious buttery pie pastry I've ever made.  It is for tarts, per se, but I think I will make it for all my pies.  It's an old French recipe.  They just seem to do everything right.

1 3/4 cups of all purpose flour, pinch of salt, 5 1/2 ounce of unsalted butter chilled and diced (I only had salted and she still turned out perfect), 1 egg yolk, 2-3 tsp. of water (I see I read the original recipe wrong and added tablespoons and low and behold, still fabulous).  Cut the butter into the mixed flour and salt with a pastry cutter until it resembles breadcrumbs.  Then add yolk and water and mix with your hands until dough forms together and make a ball.  Wrap it up in saran wrap and pop into the fridge to rest for 30 minutes.  Of course the dough will be hard when you take it out, so let it soften up and then flour your counter and roll out the dough into a circle and put into the pie plate pinching the edges to a design you like.  Add your apple filling - or whatever filling you want and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.  Keep an eye on the pastry so it doesn't burn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home