Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Poor Man's Pan Fried Pizza

This pizza is so cool and I got the recipe from the renowned Urban Peasant the late James Barber. Years ago I was putting together a cookbook to raise money for charity and thought a recipe from my favorite on TV cook would be amazing. If you can believe it I took a chance and looked up his phone number in the phone book and there it was! I called him and he answered. "Can you wait for one moment dear, I've got some soup on the stove and I've got to turn it down." He was so nice and gracious and had one of his assistant's to fax over to my office a variety of recipes I could use. I love this pan fried pizza and it's so easy!

Dough: one cup of flour, 1 tsp. of baking powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 tbsp. of vegetable oil, 4-6 tbsp. of water, a handful of grated cheese, 1/2 tsp. of oregano.
Topping Suggestions: sliced tomatoes, fried bacon, sliced mushrooms (they're maaarvelous), canned shrimp or salmon, avocado, salami, basil leaves, Alfredo sauce (goes nice with shrimp/mushrooms) - it's up to you.

In a bowl mix the flour, baking powder, salt, oil, and water and knead until you get a stiffish dough. Add the cheese and oregano and knead for another minute then flatten with a rolling pin until it's the thickness of your little finger. Heat the oil in a fry pan, lay in the dough and cook over medium/low heat for 5 minutes. Turn it over, top with whatever you want, sprinkle on the cheese and cook another 5 minutes. For a softer bread cook with the lid on, for a crisper, dryer bread cook without the lid.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home