Sunday, April 24, 2011

Hummingbird Cake From a Box

I have a penchant for cakes with cute names: Red Velvet, Grapefruit, Hummingbird. And though I have made little Miss Hummingbird from scratch in the past, imagine my delight when I found a recipe to make it triple quick from 2 boxes of cake mix but with all the charming ingredients that makes Hummingbird so darn good. So get out your bowl or mixer and bake a cake:

1 box of lemon cake, 1 box of vanilla cake (not the ones with pudding in the mix). I bought the Betty Crocker brand. Make each cake according to instructions and put into the mixer together. Add 3 bananas (mash prior if you aren't using a mixer), one 8 ounce can of drained crushed pineapple, 1/2 cup of chopped cherries (though I didn't have them) and a nice pinch of cinnamon. Mix all of these ingredients together and pour into 2 greased cake pans and bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees. Once done, let the cakes cool for about an hour. Then ice one of the cakes, top with the second cake, ice it and decorate with candied flowers. My word it's just so perdy berdy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home