Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Recession Stir Fry!

OK - I don't even know if we're still in a recession, but I do know gas is sure up, so are taxes, and so is everything. That's why I really like making a stir fry once a week, mid week to use up all my peppers, broccoli,and mushrooms together with some left over chicken or pork. It's also a great way to use up those "getting wrinkly" veggies that need a little sprucing up in some olive oil, garlic, and some special Asian sauce. Of course there is nothing new about stir fries, but I've really taken to them lately and for all the reasons I just mentioned. A couple of secrets I've learned along the way though is 1. To cook all your veggies separately so they each invididually keep their texture and flavor. Mushrooms and pepper don't cook at the same speed right? 2. I steam my broccoli first so it doesn't crisp up in the pan, and 3. I use an Asian Vinegrette, by Renee's and it is the absolute best. Renee's vinegrette has in it sesame oil, soya sauce, rice vinegar, orange peel and brown sugar. You could even make your own.

Take any left over veg that you have and chop up and put into separate piles. I added three cut up red and yellow peppers to a garlic and olive oiled pan and sauteed until they were just cooked. Take out of the pan and add the mushrooms and sautee until just cooked. Then add the peppers back to the pan, add the steamed broccoli and cooked left over meat - tonight ours was chicken. Stir around and add about 1 cup of the vinegrette and simmer for a few minutes on low. So delish and so easy.

Serve with brown rice.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home