Sunday, February 11, 2007

Valentine Salad and Mother-in-Inlaw Cocktails

I created the loveliest salad the other day and put the lonely old red cabbage languishing in my fridge to some use. I had my mother-in-law coming over for lunch the same afternoon so in addition to the Valentine Salad, I also needed to concoct something of the alcohol variety so that I could stare deeply into her suspicious cranky eyes and think good thoughts Truth be told my Valentine Salad is really just a red cabbage cole slaw. However, if you were in my kitchen, you would have witnessed what looked like 1960's retro/art gorgeousness. You would have been captivated at the beauty of this salad sitting beside a gorgeous frosty glass of Pink Chystal light laced with a little Vodka - hence the christening of Valentine Salad. Because I'm getting physically ready for a Spring vacation to Mexico with my family, I was most impressed with how easy it is to assemble some old fashioned lunch favorites using some low fat ingredients and feel as though you're appetite has been royally filled up emotionally, soulfully, and joyfully. Here is the recipe for Valentine Salad:

Roast about 40 almonds at 300 degrees for about 20 minutes and cool.

Cut up in thin slices either a whole red cabbage or half of one and for God's sakes, please watch your fingers. Toss your sliced red cabbage into a bowl to mix up all of the following ingredients:

1/4 cup of lite sour cream, 1/4 cup of lite Hellman's mayonaisse, 1/4 cup of pickle juice (there is something magical about this vinegared little cucumber that adds the top note taste needed in this Valentine Salad), then finally a tbsp. or two of Spenda and 1/2 cup of feta cheese and 1/2 cup of baking cranberries. Remember to add the almonds. This salad is simply ADDICTIVE and it is outstanding to remember that you will loose weight pigging out on it.

Enjoy!!!!!!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home