Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Katie Lee Joel's Amazing Appetizers

OK - I made two of KLJ's appetizers from her awesome book, The Comfort Table and wow! These appies are sensational and delicious. I loved reading through her cookbook and have gotten some really great fresh ideas for food. What I like about her recipes are the simplicity of them. Real food, real home cooking updated.

I served her recipes the other night at a party we had and all were devoured. I was asked for the recipes and have told everyone to definitely buy her book.

Flat Pies are like an updated sausage roll. The next time I serve this, I will add some herbs and seasoning. Even mushrooms would be a nice addition or some caramelized onions to the sausage provolone flat pie. Purchase some puff pastry and let defrost. Buy your favorite Italian sausage links, I chose mild Italian sausage because that was all I could find, but would mix them up next time with spicy and sweet, yum. Remove from the casings and cook in a frying pan until done. Shred Provolone cheese, I did about 2 cups. Now roll out the puff pastry on a floured surface in a long rectangle, or as big as it will go and layer the sausage and the cheese within one inch of the edges. Put rectangle on a cookie sheet that's been covered in parchment paper. Then mix up and egg and brush egg around the edges. Roll out another puff pastry and put over top and seal the edges together. Put into the refrigerator for 20 minutes and up to 2 hours. Then trim the edges so that the flat pie is nice and even. Didn't really know what to do with the extra puff pastry, but next time I might use it up and make herbed sticks. Make three slits on the top part of the pastry so steam can get out and then put into a preheated 375 degree oven for 35-40 minutes or until brown and rotate so it won't get just brown on one side. Delicious!

KLJ's Guacamole: Mix the following in a food processor, or mash with a potato masher like I did. Add four garlic cloves, though I used 1 tsp. of jarred garlic, 1/2 to 1 Serrano pepper, stemmed, I only had Louisiana Hot Sauce and added a tbsp., 4 Haas avocados, halved, pitted, and peeled, Juice of 1 lime, 1 1/2 tsp. of kosher salt, 1 tsp. of freshly ground black pepper, 1/2 cup of chopped fresh cilantro and a tomato diced that you will stir into the guacamole after it's been mixed. I would taste this concoction periodically and add a little more of this or a little more of that. I also doubled the recipe and used 8 avocado for the party we were having. This is a very authentic tasting guacamole that really highlights the deliciousness of the avocado.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home