Sunday, September 14, 2008

Necessity is the Mother of Invention

Today is one of those must go grocery shopping days. I need milk, eggs, fruit, vegetables, and meat. But I'm not into going out and I do still have lots of food in the house. How often do we buy more food when we don't really need it? What would I do if I didn't have this abundance at my fingertips in my refrigerator? I have gotten to a point in my life where I've become very conscience of what gets wasted in the house and of buying too much. So today, rather than just running out of the house to pick up milk for pancakes, I improvised with what I had in my kitchen and substituted plain yogurt for milk and it worked! My kids loved their pancakes.

Invention Pancakes

1 cup of flour, 1 cup of plain yogurt, 1 egg, 2 tsp. of baking powder, 1 tsp. of rum extract, 2 tbsp. of sugar. Mix up and pour 1/2 cup of batter into a greased hot griddle or pan. Turn the pan down to medium. When the pancake batter bubbles a little on the top, flip over and cook until the batter turns nice and fluffy/cooked. Serve and top with a little butter and syrup.

Growing up, when we were out of syrup for pancakes, my mom gave us strawberry jam.

Left over Kraft Dinner makes nice deep fried macaroni balls.

Left over vegetables make a nice soup you can make in advance for the week.

Lots of Potatoes? Make a huge batch of French Fries for dinner.

What do you have in the fridge you can make use of?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home