Wednesday, January 28, 2009

French Onion Prime Rib Soup

Oh what to do with the ever best left over Prime Rib Roast. I spent $60 on a Prime Rib the other night fully knowing that it was too big for our family. But what's a girl to do? I couldn't leave it behind! I'd already started dreaming about the possibilities and of course the sheer soulful joy it would bring to a Saturday night dinner. And it did. We've tried other roasts in the past, and nothing compares. Well a sirloin isn't so bad. To date we've turned our Saturday night dinner into a roster of left overs. We've had the carmelized onion prime rib sandwhiches and even tossed it in a salad with blue cheese. Tonight though, on this overwhelmingly chilly evening in Vancouver, soup will do. But my God, French Onion Prime Rib Soup will really do.

Chop up lots of onion - I chopped up, or I should say sliced up 6 medium sized onions. Put about 1/4 cup of butter into a big pot and sauteed until the onion is soft. Then add mushrooms, as many as you like. I opened two cans of mushrooms and threw them in the pot and some red wine about 3/4 a cup. I had left over bottles still here from Christmas so I just poured them all in. Then slice off as much meat as you can from the Prime Rib Beef Bones and toss the bones in the pot and simmer until all the liquid from the wine is thoroughly reduced to just a little liquid. Remove the bones and set aside. Chop up all the left over roast and toss into the pot. Add about 5 tbsp. of beef bouillon to the pot with water (do proper measurements of water to bouillon which is about 1 tbsp. of bouillon to 1 cup of water). So what spices would you like to use? I added some chopped garlic, pepper, a pinch of nutmeg for the spicy warmth, and tarragon for sweetness. Now simmer. And then from time to time, taste your soup art and add a little of this and a little of that. I'm going to serve tonight's soup with some grilled cheese sandwhiches. Happy New Year by the way!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home