Thursday, January 01, 2009

Hallelujah's Never Fail Pie Crust

Listen to me. This is very important information and trust me when I tell you.....Never Fail means that you won't!!!!!! For years I was making a pie crust that was of standard puritanical fare. Meaning - that you had to put your heart on the line, hope for the best, and then feel like crap when the pie crust didn't turn out. For years my pie crust did work using the standard lard recipe. But then something happened. I don't know if it was the nervous energy in my hands or the new granite counter top I installed - but my pie was not working out. I was heart broken....thought I'd lost my special touch. For a person who takes pride in recipes well done, this was a cookery disaster! Then my prayers were answered. My mother-in-law had passed this recipe on to me, but being stubborn in some way, I decided not to use it. However, this past Christmas I used the Never Fail Pie Crust Recipe and I urge you all to use it. Bring Pie Back!!!! You will not fail and my God it is delicious!

3 cups of flour, 1 1/2 cups of shortening (I just used Tenderflake), 1 tsp. of salt, 1 egg, 1 tbsp. of white vinegar, 5 1/2 tbsp. of water.

Whisk flour and salt together, then cut in the lard using a pastry cutter or a couple of knives together until the mixture looks like little peas, or coarse crumbs. Mix together the egg, vinegar, and water and pour into the flour mixture and mix together. Now separate the dough into 4 equal parts by rolling them into balls. Now here is the most amazing part. I can barely contain myself!!!!!! I'm crying I am so happy about this part.

Put a large piece of parchment paper on your counter, plop the dough on it (I use two balls for the bottom and two for the top I always have lots left over to spare to make more, but this is dough insurance to me so I can completely cover the pie plate....you know what I'm saying right?), and cover the dough with another with another piece of parchment paper. One thing I've learn in how you can roll your dough out into a lovely circle, is to shape it into a round disk before hand. With your rolling pin begin rolling the dough out in a big circle. Roll out to about 1/4 inch thick. Once you've rolled out your dough disk......peel the top piece of parchment paper off, and lift the bottom parchment paper up off the counter and turn the dough out into the pie pan. Hallelujah!!!!!! This is incredible. I'm going to add my New Fashioned Apple Pie Recipe after the pie crust recipe so stay tuned. XOXOX

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home