Saturday, July 16, 2011

Easy and Gorgeous Preserved Lemons

Oh I'm too excited for these. In fact, they piqued huge interest at the market the other day when I bought 2 dozen lemons and a box of 1 litre canning jars. The cashier asked me, "what are you making?" "Preserved lemons" I said! "What for?" She asked. "It's Moroccan cooking," I replied "and preserved lemons are used in vinaigrettes, roast chicken, in pasta for lemon spaghetti, or how about bouillabaisse....endless....possibilities..." "Well tell me how they turn out and come back and give me the recipe." So my friends, I don't know how they'll turn out, but they are b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l in the jars and they're tucked up in my pantry awaiting their debut. I will have to look again, but these lemons should be in their jars for about 3-4 months which will bring us into fall/winter.

For the record, these lemons I'm preserving are being put into a brine, whereas many people just salt the lemons, put into the jars and do it that way, which I believe is the authentic Moroccan way.

24 lemons, 3 quarts of water in a pot with 2 1/2 cups of sea or Kosher Salt, and some nice spices like, 4 cinnamon sticks if you like with a couple of tablespoons of anise seed, and bay leaf, then 1/4 cup of olive oil.

First you want to sterilize your jars, I do mine in the dishwasher - not with the lids though - I just rinsed the lids.

Now put the water and salt with the spices into a pot and bring to a simmer and turn off. Meanwhile you are going to make a double slit on either end of each lemon about 1/2 an inch long so the salty brine will seep into the lemon and peel.

Start stuffing lemons into each jar, you will probably get six in each one (really press them in so they're tight).

Once one jar is complete, pour the brine into the jar, throw in a bay leaf or two, top with 1/4 cup of olive oil, twist the lid on and take a picture!

Continue until your four jars are all done.

They are so pretty let me tell you. Store them in a cool and dark place and open in about 4 months. Once opened, refrigerate and use up within two weeks. Imagine what perdy Christmas gifts these would make!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home