Friday, August 21, 2015

Downton Abbey's Fish and Chips

Back in the day....not that I even remotely know, but according to a completely unauthorized and unofficial Downton Abbey Cookbook I have, Fish and Chips were "one of the most popular meals during WW1." Of course this would be something the middle and lower class would probably enjoy...back in the day, rather than those of a higher echelon. This was not only the first time I'd made battered fish, but my Lord, it was beyond simple and easy and I did it all in a cast iron pan with vegetable oil. I made these quite quickly for my son. 4 russet potatoes cut into thick wedges 2 pieces of firm-fleshed white fleshed fish such as cod (I just so happened to have Mahi Mahi) Batter: 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 1 tbsp. baking powder, 2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste, 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, 1/4 tsp. lemon pepper, dash cayenne pepper (optional if you'd like it spicy, 1 bottle possibly 1 1/2 bottle(s) of dark beer (I only had Budweiser, so I'm sure if I had dark beer it would have been even more amazing...the batter should be just thicker than pancake batter - I added more beer because the recipe I used made it way too thick) 1 1/2 pounds of fish, corn starch for dredging (which I didn't have so I used flour), malt vinegar for serving. Mix up your batter and put aside. Fill up cast iron pan half way up with vegetable oil and heat up. Once it's hot, dip fish in batter and put into pan. Keep an eye on it so it doesn't get really brown, just golden and flip. One word of advice, make sure the fish isn't really crazy thick like mine was - while it turned out amazing, I had to keep cutting into it to make sure it was cooked. When the batter is gorgeously golden put aside on a paper-towelled plate to drain. Repeat process until all the fish is done and put somewhere warm to keep warm. Then cook up the potatoes in the oil. Make sure you dry potatoes from any excess moisture or water first. Turn them also until beautifully golden and drain on paper towel when done. Serve!!!! So delicious!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home