Tuesday, July 24, 2007

BBQ Salmon with Tzatziki Salsa and Red Wine Risotto

I'm kind of new to BBQing again. For years I was avid; then for some reason I couldn't understand how to operate our BBQ. My husband explained to me how to operate our BBQ, but we are different learners and I honestly couldn't understand what he was teaching me. I am a complete demonstration sort of person who needs to take notes with occasional requests to "show me one more time." Well I finally I figured it out and I can't stop BBQing! All I have to do is put the propane on full blast, set the BBQ dials to high, sit low to the ground so as to not light my eyebrows on fire, then stick a lighter through the little hole and BOOM! (that's exactly how it sounds when the flames lick our balcony roof). Yes I am exaggerating about the flame part....sort of.

Take a nice hunk of salmon, and put it on tin foil. Rub with a little olive oil, then add some fresh garlic, salt, pepper, and 1/4 cup of Hellman's mayo and layer salmon with slices of lemon and onion. Wrap in tin foil and cook on med/high for about 20-25 minutes. Check your salmon after 15 as you don't want to over cook it. Then for the tzatziki salsa: cut up 1/2 a cucumber and chunk each piece into fours, salt and pepper it, add a little garlic powder, 1/4 cup of plain yoghurt, and 1/4 cup of sour cream. I also added a package of splenda to heighten the flavor and it did. Let the tzatziki sit until the salmon is ready. Cool the salmon just a little and assemble it gorgeously on the plate with lemon and onion slices, top with tzatziki salsa and perhaps a sprig of parsley if you have it. Very delicious.

I also served some risotto. I often wonder how on these cooking competitions on TV, such as Ramsey's Kitchen, chefs FU** UP Risotto. It really isn't hard, and it is a really cool dish that you can just keep on adding liquid to and it only gets more divine. Perhaps I am the one doing it wrong, but it was delicious. This recipe served two 1/4 cups of rice. I sauteed a small chopped up onion with butter over medium heat until the onion was soft and clear. Then add 1/4 cup of arobio rice with 1/2 cup of chicken broth. Let it come to a boil and turn the element down to low. Keep stirring and about every 6 minutes, add another 1/2 cup of liquid until you have about 1 1/2 cups of liquid added. I added 1/2 cup of red wine only and then 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese. Keep stirring and tasting. Then turn off the element and serve, topping with more shaved Parmesan. Delicious!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home