Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Ground Turkey Hash

Yes I know it's a little early, in Canada anyway, to be using up turkey in hashes, but the turkey I'm using here is ground. I've adapted a lovely recipe I found in the South Beach Diet, to my version - whatever the hell is in my refrigerator. I have also started reading cookbooks again as I feel like I'm stuck in a rut and can't get some things to taste as fantastic as I normally do. I need to re-learn herbs and spices and start using them generously again. I think moms sometimes get into ruts because their children may find something too spicy. Well, to hell with you kids - mama needs to get her cooking game on again - after all, if they're hungry enough they'll eat anything. Truth be known however, my children are great eaters and are willing to give many things a try. One of my sons will take nice crusty, prosciutto/havarti- filled sandwiches to school with fruit and soup. My other son loves a good meat and mashed potato dish and both my children love broccoli. Not bad. Here is my recipe for Ground Turkey Hash and remember - be flexible - add whatever veggies you have:

1 pound of ground turkey, 1/2 onion chopped up, 2 cups of frozen beans (I absolutely love the Europe's Best brand of green and yellow beans), 2 cups of chopped up sweet potato or as we call it here in Canada - yams. Also you'll need some 1 cup of chicken broth, 1 340 ml. of V8 juice, 2 tbsp. of flour, 1 tsp. of minced garlic (I used jarred - much easier), 1 tbsp. of olive oil. 1/2 tsp. of thyme.

In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium oil. Add sweet potato, onions, garlic, and frozen green beans. Cook and stir around for about 10 minutes until lightly browned and beginning to soften. Then add ground turkey and continue cooking until meat is thoroughly cooked. Add thyme. Then add 1 cup of chicken broth and simmer for about 10 more minutes on medium low. Then stir together V8 Juice and flour until it's nice and smooth and add to the pan. Continue simmering down to desired consistency and pour over rice.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home